The hour of no power starts this Saturday night at 8.30pm.
Since 2007 every year it is from communities like ours across Australia that helps Earth Hour’s movement for the environment. Earth Hour is very everyone. It’s a global movement.
For just one hour during Earth Hour we can be more environmentally friendly and show our support for stronger action to protect our planet’s future.
But closer to home, we need to protect our country. Australia has been hit hard. We’ve experienced devastating floods, drought and bush fires, not to mention the global pandemic. The impacts of the climate emergency continue to be felt across our country.
WWF-Australia is calling on Australians this Earth Hour to make the switch for nature to support Australia’s switch to a renewables-based economy.
There are simple lifestyle choices you can make now that will have an impact on tomorrow. You could consider:
- switching to a new carbon-neutral mobile phone plan
- switching to an ethical superannuation fund where investments benefit your future such as renewable energy
- using solar power where possible, and energy efficient lighting
- switching to a carbon-neutral or green energy provider
- recycling clothing and reduce the amount of textile waste going to landfill
- reducing food waste, buy and cook only what you need and compost where possible
- switching to a reusable coffee or tea cup instead of disposable ones
- using planet-friendly transportation eg electric modes of transport, public transport, bikes and walking instead of using your car so often
- switching off lights and other electrical devices when not in use
You can do your bit to help save the planet by making a few smart choices to create change.
It’s people power at its best. Switch off this Earth Hour and help the movement #SwitchforNature