Strata insurance – am I covered?

Financial planning consultation

Strata insurance – am I covered?

Strata owners often get confused about their insurance needs, especially those new to strata living.

This confusion can place them at risk of being underinsured or worse, not being covered.

One common misunderstanding is owners believe their personal contents will be covered by their strata building insurance policy. It’s not. It is important to have clear understanding of residential strata insurance vs personal contents and landlords insurance.

Whilst there are often slight differences and variations for each state the main message is to be aware of the differences so strata owners can fully protect themselves and their personal belongings.

We invited one of Australia’s leading strata insurance specialists, CHU, to provide some guidance on what is covered by its residential strata building insurance, personal contents and landlords insurance policies.

As a special offer to our readers, receive 3% off CHU Contents insurance and/or 5% off CHU Landlords insurance. Click to get a quote today.

Residential strata building insurance

Provides general insurance cover for the building, shared or ‘common’ areas, common property and common area contents including:

Residential Strata
Insurance Plan*

Refers to all buildings and underground services erected upon the building block forming the Strata Plan, including fencing as well as all permanent fixtures and fittings within a Lot.
  • Baths | toilets | shower screens
  • Hand basins | sinks | fixed tiling
  • Ducted air conditioners
  • Windows | doors | built-in cupboards | floating floors
  • Stoves
  • Paintwork | wallpapering
  • Public light fittings
Common area contents






  • Carpets | floating floors | other temporary wall, floor and ceiling coverings within hallways and lobbies
  • Pot plants | mirrors | decorations within common areas
  • Appliances such as washing machines and dryers owned by the Owners Corporation and used by all unit owners and housed in common laundries
  • Barbeque equipment, gardening equipment and garden or indoor furniture
* Cover based on CHU Residential Strata Insurance Plan – please check your residential strata building insurance policy as cover may differ.

Contents insurance

Provides cover for your household and personal possessions within your lot such as clothing, jewellery, carpet, furniture and electrical appliances. It also covers the financial cost of repairing or replacing these possessions in the event of loss or damage.

Contents Insurance for Strata*


  • Carpet | floating floors | other temporary wall, floor and ceiling coverings
  • Light fittings
  • Curtains | blinds
  • Household appliances such as dishwashers, refrigerators, washing machines and dryers
  • Personal equipment and valuables
    such as jewellery and watches
  • Clothing
  • Furniture
  • Entertainment equipment such as
    TVs, stereos and devices
* Cover based on CHU Contents Insurance for Strata – please check your contents insurance policy as cover may differ.

Landlords insurance

Landlords Insurance for Strata* covers owners who rent out their property, such as a unit, apartment or villa to tenants and protects them against loss or damage to their investment property.

It provides cover to personal items including carpets, light fittings, curtains, blind and washing machines against accidental damage, theft, burglary, or malicious damage caused by tenants and guests.

Landlords insurance also provides cover for loss of rent if the tenant defaults, leaves unexpectedly or if the property becomes unfit to be occupied.

* Cover based on CHU Landlords Insurance for Strata – please check your contents insurance policy as cover may differ.


Consider your insurance needs carefully 

It is important to understand that the residential strata building insurance policy ends when you cross the threshold of your individual property.

When considering purchasing your own insurance, think about what is within your apartment and weigh up the potential risk of not insuring those items.

Just don’t be disillusioned thinking ‘it will never happen to me’. Ask any strata manager, the nightmare stories of residents suffering as a result of not having adequate cover are very real.


Special offer to our readers

As a special offer to our readers, receive 3% off CHU Contents insurance and/or 5% off CHU Landlords insurance. Click to get a quote today.


CHU Contents Insurance and Landlords Insurance is issued by CHU Underwriting Agencies Pty Ltd ABN 18 001 580 070 (AFS Licence No: 243261), an underwriting agency action on behalf of the insurer QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited ABN 78 003 191 035 (AFS Licence No: 239545) and is introduced by Smarter Communities Limited ABN 25 065 006 859 for which Smarter Communities receives commission. For more information on the amount of the commission please refer to This exclusive discount is only applied when a policy is purchased via the unique link advice in this article is general advice only and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before making a decision to acquire any product(s) or to continue to hold any product we recommend that you consider whether it is appropriate for your circumstances and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement which can be viewed at

We Can Help

To create a better lifestyle for people living & investing in commuities

Get A Quote Today


Related Articles

Talk To Us


Get the latest Strata News, Investment Insights, Lifestyle & Inspiration Tips